Sunday, September 18, 2005

Christmas Comes Early for Brian

I must be doing something right in life. Why, you might ask? Three days, three great barbecue places, that's why! It all started Thursday when I had to cover a hearing in federal court in Newnan, Georgia. That's right, Newnan. I'm not sure what pops into your head when I mention the name of that town, but in my mind the word "Newnan" means only one thing:



The best in Georgia. Case closed. Click here to be as close to the action as possible.

The very next day, Friday, Jenny and I made a trip with my mother up to Chattanooga to pick up a last-minute gift for Jenny's shower on Saturday. Great town, Chattanooga.

HISTORY NERD NOTE: Know why it's called Chattanooga? That was the Cherokee Indian word for Lookout Mountain, which overlooks the city.

Anyway, mountain or no mountain, one thing always jumps out at me from the cityscape of that fine town: Sticky Fingers. You know, there's something to be said for a BBQ joint that passes out hand towels when you walk in the door. Not a paper napkin in the house. A thing of beauty. Tremendous ribs.

The VERY NEXT DAY, Saturday in Rome, while Jenny and the women go to the baby shower and the Dawgs take care of business in Athens against the lowly LA-Monroe Indians, I hit the target range with my father-in-law and Matt Stewart, a good friend from college. On the way, just like three boys from the south, we made time for lunch:



Just reading the marquis should let everyone know that this is a classic joint. Not to mention the fact that I can't go into the place without running into an old high school buddy. I might be ready to crown this place the best in Floyd County, especially since Two Feet's in Cave Spring closed down (moment of silence).

So it's Sunday now, and it looks like my barbecue streak will come to a close. Three days wasn't bad though. Who knows, maybe I'll get a wild hair and drive down to Dreamland tonight for the best ribs in the solar system....oh wait, we're saving money because a baby is coming.....more on that later....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to know what your trips to the "great white throne" have been like after all that BBQ.

Jon Mitchell said...

After eating at Sprayberry's, I know I would be spraying something...just not sure it would be berries.

Charlie said...

(Found your site from Richard's site) I went to sticky fingers about 2 years ago with my students on a field trip. One of my former student's uncle is the owner. They gave each of us a bottle of sauce. Good stuff.