Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering 9/11

Five years ago today I was teaching my kindergarten kids when a co-worker came in and said "They have the World Trade center and the Pentagon. You need to pray." I didn't understand what she was talking about. Later, on the playground the teachers were all talking about the attacks. We couldn't turn on the t.v. because we couldn't expose our young children to the graphic images. Later, during lunch someone told me that they were evacuating the city of Atlanta and that's where Brian was. This was two months before we got married. I tried calling him on his cell phone, but I couldn't reach him. I knew that he had ridden MARTA and I was scared that he was stuck down town. Later, I found out that he was fine and that he had gotten on the last train out.

Five years later I am still awestruck when I see images of what happened. It is still hard for me to believe that it happened on American soil. I am so thankful to the soldiers who have fought and are fighting for our freedom. Freedom isn't free and I thank God that we have it.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Amen to that!

I was teaching, too, but I had to leave b/c I was too upset since my uncle worked on the 85th floor of the World Trade Center. We found out fairly quickly that he was okay, but school had already been canceled for the day. Funny enough, after all the morning drama, I can't remember for the life of me what I did the rest of that day...